Tuesday, April 14, 2009

On the matter of birthdays, proper post: Part 1

I have two different topics I would like to blog about this week, so I am going to write two separate posts. This is the first.

My birthday was last week. On Wednesday. Unfortunately, I had to spend almost the entire night completing final assignments as I had three due on Thursday. Not the most ideal way to spend a birthday, but since starting university nine years ago, my birthday has had a tendency to fall over exam periods. This is not the first time I have had to spend it studying. Andrew was kind enough to make me a delicious pasta dinner and we had German beer (Warsteiner Dunkel) to go along with it. It was nice, but it was also 10:00 pm before I turned the computer off and got to relax--by going to bed.

On the whole, I don't mind birthdays. I don't mind getting older. After all, as you get older you gain privileges. You may even gain wisdom. But I find it goes by awfully fast. And at the end of the day I find myself feeling unremarkable and a little sad that my birthday is over already. I've never enjoyed having my birthday celebrated before the actual date. If there's already been cake and presents I feel that by the time the actual day arrives it slips by even more unremarkably than normal. Maybe it's just weird. Maybe it's just me. I don't know. Maybe like the kid-neighbour in The Incredibles I'm just looking for something more amazing to happen.

That being said, I did have a nice get-together at my apartment on Saturday night. I had a collection of friends over. I baked a bunch of deserts. We sat and ate, chatted and then played Wii for a while. My wrist still hurts from some of those games (damn rabbits). It was nice. I even got a few gifts.

Ciao,

Andrea

No comments: