Tuesday, March 24, 2009

No time to be hatching a plot

A few weeks ago I had a dream where I lived in a giant airplane hanger-like building that was divided into cubicles. In the cubicles lived people. At the time, it reminded me a little of the part in The Muppets Take Manhattan where they live in lockers at the bus station. Every muppet had decorated their locker to suit their personality. This is what happened in the cubicles in my dream. I recall that I had a hammock in mine and some beaded curtains. I also had a corner cubical so I could see everyone as they passed by. This was also one of my figure skating dreams (Canadian figure skaters were also living in cubicles) but that's not terribly important to this post.

Since I had the dream I've thought the notion of communal living in cubicles could make for an interesting story. Last night before going to bed and this afternoon (while at work) I started to mull over the possibilities for plot ideas. I'm thinking about making this into a speculative YA story with a fifteen year-old deaf girl as my protagonist. I actually managed to work out a number of details around the world and the community, but I still haven't figured out what the crisis will be. I'll keep pondering and see what ideas niggle their way into my brain. I might have to jot them down since at the present I have no idea when I might actually work on this MS. After all, I've still got UFO under construction and like my knitting, I don't like to have more than one project on the go at a time.

Ciao,

Andrea

No comments: