Wednesday, January 14, 2009

At last I return, final mini-NaNoWriMo count

At long last I return to the blogging world. I meant to write a post or two over Christmas, but just didn't get around to it. I barely remembered to check my e-mail let alone write something to throw up (not as in vomit) onto the internet.

For my the first post of the new year, I thought I would announce my final count on my mini-NaNoWriMo attempt. In the month of November, amidst attending classes, going to work, writing final papers and taking skating lessons I managed to write 14,535 words on my new manuscript, which is titled for the present: Unidentified Flying Object. My goal (ha!) is to have it submission ready by Jan 1, 2010. However, since November I've only managed to push the count up to 27,729 words. That means I've got another 70,000 words to write and I'm not too sure I have enough plot to do it. Then again, I thought this when I was working on Camwai and it worked out all right...enough.

Right now the manuscript (MS) it a huge mess--worse than normal. There are only two chapters. Chapter two lasts over sixty pages. Obviously this is not okay. Also there are inconsistencies with character description and descriptions of the city and buildings the story takes place in. These need to be fixed. This partially comes from me writing everything on the fly. With Camwai I tried to plan out as much in advance as possible and that hasn't happened this time. I'm not even sure how the story is going to end, but I'm getting there. I have some ideas. Lastly, I really want to darken my MS up. Make it more gothic. This would help give it a broader appeal. If LUNA doesn't like it, I may be able to send it elsewhere. I don't think I can do that with the Camwai MS, since it was written specifically with LUNA in mind.

Okay, so what about the story?

I don't want to give too much away (and as I've already hinted, I don't know exactly how it will end) but, this story is about Claire Lamont. She's a librarian (I have to write about things I know). She can fly. She doesn't have any other super hero skills though, so she's not super strong, or fast etc., she just flies. She's also incredibly cynical. She worries that someone is just around the corner waiting to capture her and put her in a secret government research facility and make her into a human weapon or something. She doesn't trust people and she doesn't have friends.

Then along comes Jason (I've forgotten what surname I gave him). He meets Claire when he tries to jump from one building to another and fails. She's forced to grab onto him and save him from going splat on the ground. It turns out that his girlfriend had a special power too and now she's been kidnapped. Against her better judgement Claire agrees to help Jason...and on the story merrily stumbles. There's some spy-like scenes, there's action and double crossing and all those good sort things. I just hope I can make it work out.

As a final note, I want to plug a new book that has recently been published. It's call "The Stand in Groom." It's an inspirational romance that was written by a friend of mine, Kaye Dacus, who I went to school with in Greensburg, PA. I haven't had a chance to read it yet, my copy is in the mail, but knowing Kaye, I expect it will be witty and fun.

Ciao,

Andrea

1 comment:

Unknown said...

hey good job with mini-Nanowrimo count....my could has basically much much lower than that...if there was even a count which i dont htink there was.